Friday, February 18, 2022

 A Clean Vessel 

   “I would feed you with the finest wheat and satisfy you with wild honey.” (Psalm 81: 16) 

   I would not store the finest wheat in a dirty vessel.  Nor would I collect honey in a filthy jar.  Neither will God fill me with His blessings if I am full of earthy desires and cravings.

   God wants only what is best for me and stands ready to fill me with His blessings.  He will offer me wisdom, faith, hope, and eternal joy.  But these gifts aren’t possible if I am filled with sin and earthly longings.  Only by emptying myself of earthy desires and urges can I receive the many blessing God has in store for me.

   There are many things in this world that can bring temporary joy, but eternal joy can only be found in God.  Fine foods, wine, money, and all else the world has to offer are only ploys of Satan to convince me that I can find happiness in them.  None of them will last, all things earthly are transitory and will fade away.

   I can have all the money, fame and fortune the world has to offer but at my death they will no longer be mine.  The money will belong to others and fame quickly fades.  Jesus said, “For what will it profit them to gain the whole world and forfeit their life?” (Mark 8: 26).

   If I am to receive the many blessings God wishes to give I must empty myself, sweep out the cobwebs and make a clean vessel of myself.

 

Lord, the world offers all that glitters, but it is not gold.  Only with You can I obtain the gold of eternal life.  May I forego earthly pleasures and desires, desiring only You and Your love.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment