Friday, February 25, 2022

 Reading Scripture for Life 

   “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want;” (Psalm 23: 1) 

   Like most church-goers I’ve said and sung this psalm many times in my life.  Also, like most church-goers, I’ve often repeated the words without considering their meaning.

   To better know God and what He wants for me I’ve had to change the way I read scripture.  For years I read it just because it was the right thing do to.  But I was just reading it, not praying it.  I was putting a checkmark next to each book as I finished it and moving on to the next.  I was not asking, “What is God trying to tell me?”.

   When I say the Lord is my shepherd it brings to mind the many times that Jesus was compared with the shepherds of His day.  “I am the good shepherd.  A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.”  (John 10: 11).  When I read these words, I can’t help but see Him on the cross, dying for me, offering redemption.  His words, “Father, forgive them, they know not what they do.” (Luke 23: 24) strike to the core of my heart, reminding me of how He suffered on my behalf.

   “I am the good shepherd, I know my own and my own know me.” (John: 10:14).  A good shepherd's sheep will follow wherever he may lead, even over rough and rocky paths.  They trust that he is leading them to good grazing.  Jesus, the good shepherd, may lead me through rocky times as well, but He will never forsake me and will always lead me to good pasture.

   Reading scripture in a prayerful manner, I often find new meaning in a passage that I’ve read many times before.  The same scripture that brings solace in times of trouble may speak of the sheer joy of life and loving God at other times.  Reading scripture prayerfully and thoughtfully is a way to listen more closely to what God wishes to say to me.  With an open heart I hear Him.

 

Lord, grant me the grace to better understand Your word.  Give me the strength and perseverance to act on that word.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment