Sunday, February 27, 2022

 More Thoughts of Heaven 

   Perhaps it’s because I’m getting older.  Maybe because my wife is there, and I want to be with her.  Or it could simply be the natural curiosity and hope of one who strives to live a Christian life.  Whatever the reason, my thoughts turn to heaven quite often these days.

   St. Paul wrote, “What eye has not seen, and ear has not heard, and what has not entered into the human heart, what God has prepared for those who love him.” (1 Cor 2: 9).  Heaven is an unknown in so many ways, but it is the goal of every Christian.  That sometimes strikes me as strange that we all long for something we don’t understand.  The mere thought of heaven brings great joy and yet we truly have no idea what it will be like.

   I sometimes think we are so clueless about the reality of heaven so that we will more often sit quietly, thinking what it may be like.  I know some of my most pleasant times are those spent simply wondering and considering the beauty and perfection that lies ahead.

   I have also considered that the lack of knowledge urges me to a greater trust in God and His promises.  If I knew all there was to know about the next life, would I still need such faith in the wonders of heaven?  As it is I can ponder all the many joys of heaven, thanking God for what may be awaiting me.

   The one thing I’m completely certain of is that heaven is where I want to be.  I suppose the details really don’t matter; the joy, the happiness, the incredible love will be more than I could ever expect and certainly more than I could ever deserve.  Our God is a loving, generous God and I look forward do knowing what He has prepared for those who love Him, whatever it may be.

 

Lord, I don’t what heaven will be.  I sometimes feel like a child, full of excitement at beginning a new adventure.  Let me always keep that childlike anticipation and hope of heaven.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment