Sunday, February 6, 2022

 Deep Water 

   “Put out into deep water and let down your nets for a catch. (Luke 5: 4) 

   Jesus’ words to Peter apply to me as well.  He will challenge me to leave my comfort zone and put out into deep water with Him.  It can be hard to accept the challenge not knowing what the results might be.  If I insist, he will allow me to remain in the shallows, but if I want to follow Him, I must go where He calls me.

   As an experienced fisherman, Peter knew what Jesus was asking made little sense but still agreed, “Master, we worked hard throughout the night and caught nothing; but if you say so, I will let down the nets.” (Luke 5: 5).  I too sometimes question, sometimes doubt.  But, like Peter, I am amazed at the results when I do as He asks.  Peter was rewarded with an amazing catch; Jesus promises me that He come again and take me to Himself (see John 14: 3).

   When Peter brought his boat to shore he, as well as James and John, left everything to follow Jesus.  These simple fishermen along with His other apostles and disciples would change the world by trusting Jesus and obeying His call.  I must also answer His call.

   It's easy to remain in the shallows where there’s little risk or danger.  Leaving the safety and going into the deep water with Jesus requires that I trust that He has my best interest at heart, even though I may not know where the path may lead.

   To follow Him requires commitment and determination.  It will not always be easy and there may be many difficulties along the way.  But staying in shallow water will not lead me to God’s kingdom.  To gain eternal life in heaven I must go where Jesus calls me.

 

You asked Abraham to leave everything behind and he did.  You asked Your disciples to leave all behind and follow and they did.  I pray for the courage to accept your call wherever it may lead.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment