Tuesday, February 15, 2022

 Living A Peaceful Life

 

   “Never be in a hurry, do everything quietly and in a calm spirit.  Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset.” (St. Francis De Sales) 

   In my lifetime I’ve seen the pace of life increase tremendously.  Weekends that used to be for rest and worshipping God are now just two more days of the week.  Speed limits are ignored and stop lights sometimes seem like only a suggestion to some.  If I’m not driving at least five to ten miles over the limit I am holding up traffic.  If I come to a stop at a traffic light that has changed to yellow I’m apt to be rear-ended by the driver behind me who was speeding up to beat the red.  I often wonder where everyone is going is such a rush.

   By making a conscious effort to slow down my lifestyle I’ve greatly increased my inner peace.  I try to never get in a hurry, whether on the road and just around the house.  A more leisurely approach has brought great calm to my life.

   Most important of all is calming my spiritual life.  Faith and knowledge of the Lord can't be rushed.  They are gifts from God, increasing at the pace He determines.  When I slow down and simply allow His presence to overwhelm me I come to greater understanding of His will and the plans He has for me.

   A hurried life can bring stress, physical as well as psychological problems, and even accidents causing injury or death to self or others.  A fast-paced spiritual life limits the joy and peace that God wishes to bring to us.  Like the Simon and Garfunkel song says, “Slow down, you move to fast” (59th Street Bridge Song).

 

Lord, let me take the time to truly come to know You.  No hurry, no haste, simply sitting with You in peace and serenity.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment