Monday, February 14, 2022

 A Lifelong Search 

   Searching for God takes a lifetime.  Unfortunately, many of us, myself included, wait far too long to begin the search.  As I grow older I wish more and more that I had begun to seek Him much earlier.

   That’s not to say that I’ve not been a faithful, or “good” Catholic over the years, only  that I could have been a better one.  Marriage, children, and the normal day-to-day life that we all experience intrudes into our spiritual life whether we realize it or not.  Spiritual endeavors sometimes get pushed aside by the realities of life.

   As my wife and I were raising our four children, there were many worldly concerns that we could not disregard.  We were faithful Catholics and tried to raise our children as such, but the worldly needs of a family sometimes limited how much we could do for our spiritual life.  Could we have done better?  Perhaps, but I’m at peace that we did the best we could.

   Now that I’m alone, I find that my greatest joy comes from spending time with my Lord.  Whether it be in prayer, or reading scripture, or just being aware of His presence in my life, I find great peace in our relationship.  I am confident of His love for me, and I try to love Him as best as is humanly possible.  He is my best friend.

   The search continues, and I realize that I will never truly know Him in this lifetime.  Still, I feel that I grow closer to Him and know Him a bit better each day.  I have found that the more of myself I give to Him the more of Him I receive.

 

When can I truly know You Lord?  When can I enter Your temple?  Lead me always closer to You in all I do.  Let me belong to You alone.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment