Monday, February 21, 2022

 Help Our Unbelief 

“All things can be done for the one who believes.’  Immediately the father of the child cried out, ‘I believe; help my unbelief!’”  (Mark 9: 23 -24). 

   Time and again Jesus asked those who were seeking cures or healings if they believed He could do what they asked. In His own hometown of Nazareth he found very little faith, “And they took offense at him.  But Jesus said to the them, ‘Prophets are not without honor except in their own country and in their own house.  And he did not do many deeds of power there, because of their unbelief.”  (Matt 13: 57 – 58).’

   I’ve prayed for many things and thought that they had gone unanswered.  However, I’ve found that there are times when they were answered, but not in the way I had hoped.  I’ve learned that “Yes” is not the only answer to my prayers.  The answer may be “No, this is not what is good for you.”  Or perhaps “Yes, but not now, you are not ready.”

   Looking back over my life, I’ve also seen that prayers I thought had gone unanswered were answered, but not as quickly as I would like.  My time is not God’s time, for Him a thousand years is like a day.  Many times my prayers had been answered even though I didn't recognize it at the time.  I am confident that all will be answered according to God's will.

   St. James tells us, “But ask in faith, never doubting.  For the one who doubts is like the wave of the sea, driven and tossed about by the wind.” James 1: 6).  We, like the father in Matthew's gospel, need to say, “I believe; help my unbelief!”

 

We ask so many things of You Lord.  But do we firmly believe that You will answer?  Help us to know that when we ask in faith, the answer is certain to come even though it might not be the answer we expected.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment