Wednesday, February 9, 2022

 The Prodigal Son 

   “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion.  He ran to him, threw his arms around him, and kissed him.” (Luke 15: 20) 

   I have a print of Rembrandt’s “The Return of the Prodigal Son” in my home.  I find myself noticing it from time to time, and again contemplating the magnificent story behind the painting.

   I can see myself in the prodigal son.  I’ve done some foolish things in my life and regret them greatly.  Like the son I’ve taken the gifts of the Father and squandered them on selfish ventures, never taking the time to even thank Him for all He’s done for me.  Also like the prodigal I finally came to my senses and came home to Him.

   I also see myself in the older brother of the parable.  The “holier-than-thou” attitude so obvious in his anger toward his returning brother.  I sometimes see the sins of others while ignoring my own.  I tell myself that I would never do the things they’ve done, choosing to forget that I may have done even worse at times.

   Most of all I see my heavenly Father in the depiction of the father in the parable.  He knows my sins far better than I and yet waits for my return to Him.  When I come to Him confessing my sins, He takes me in His loving arms and forgives.  He dresses me in holiness and calls me His own.

   The wrongs of the prodigal and his repentance, the disdain of the older brother, and the undying love and forgiveness of the father are each worthy of contemplation.  While I experience a bit of the prodigal son and the older brother in my life, I also experience great joy and peace in the Father’s love and mercy for me, a sinner.

 

Father, I fail You far too often.  I think of myself rather than You.  I return to You seeking your mercy.  In Your compassion You fill me with the joy of Your great love and forgiveness.  Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment