Friday, February 4, 2022

 Rest in the Lord 

   “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.”  (St. Augustine) 

   When the world begins to get me down, when things are not going all that well I recall these words from St. Augustine’s “Confessions”.  If I am not at rest in God, I will never be at rest in this world.

   In my opinion we will never rest in the Lord until we learn to turn off the world.  Over the last few years I’ve come to understand the value of solitude and silence in growing closer to God.  However, even when I can silence the world around me, my mind still runs amok with thoughts of today, tomorrow, and so many other things.

   Not only must I have the external quiet, I must also have it internally.  This is not always easy, but I’ve found a way that helps a lot.  I sit quietly, paying attention to my breathing.  As I inhale I think “In with Spirit”, and on the exhale, “Out with world”.  Usually, after a few deep breathes I have greatly quieted my mind.  When the world begins to intrude I can pause and repeat this little mantra to regain the calm.  This process is recommended in many books on calming prayer, and it works for me.

   The peace I have in my soul is not of my doing but of God.  If I am not at rest in Him there will be no peace.  We are challenged to do many things in this life but finding our rest in God is what will bring us peace.

 

Father, the world is a busy place with very little time for rest.  I need to rest in You and be in Your presence.  Help me Lord, to quiet the world and my mind so that I can truly be at rest in You.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment