Wednesday, February 16, 2022

 To Be Saved 

   I have been asked at times if I am “saved”.  I believe those asking are doing so with love and genuine concern for my soul.  But I don’t think the question should be if I am saved, but if I am being saved.

   Christianity and salvation is not an event, it is a journey.  A profession of faith, confession, and baptism removes our sins, but we remain sinners for the rest of our life.   My soul remains at risk if I don’t do my best to live according to God’s word, striving to avoid sin and seeking forgiveness for those sins I commit through my human weaknesses.  So, in my mind, salvation is an on-going effort that will continue until death.

   Confessing of our sins and repenting of them is a two-fold act.  We must be sincerely sorrowful for our sins, seeking God’s mercy and forgiveness.  But we must also make a concerted effort to change our sinful ways, to do everything possible to avoid sin going forward.  Otherwise, it’s like a husband who tells His wife that he is sorry for his adulterous acts but then continues to commit adultery.  There was no effort to stop sinning, just a desire to appease his spouse.  We cannot placate God with false promises.

   Jesus said, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.” (Matt 7: 21).  My salvation depends not only on professing faith in Jesus Christ as my savior, but also living according to the will of my Father in Heaven.

 

Father, I sorrow for my sins.  I wish it were possible to never sin again.  Give me the strength to avoid sin and live according to Your will in all things.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment