Thursday, February 3, 2022

 Do Whatever He Tells You 

   “When the wine was exhausted, the mother of Jesus said to him, ‘They have no wine.’  Jesus responded, ‘Woman, what concern is this to us?  My hour has not yet come.’  His mother said to the servants, ‘Do whatever he tells you.’” (John 2: 3 – 5) 

   “Do whatever he tells you”.  She had no doubt that Jesus could do whatever He chose.  The servants only needed to do what He asked of them.  They did this, the water was turned into wine and the wedding feast continued uninterrupted.

   Our Blessed Mother says the same to me and you, do whatever He tells you.  If we listen, through prayer, scripture and other holy readings, Jesus will tell us the plans He has for us.  “For I know well the plans I have for you, plans for your welfare and not your misfortune, plans that will offer you a future filled with hope.” (Jeremiah 29: 11).  Like the servants at the wedding, we need only do what He tells us to realize the future He has in mind for us.

   I look to St. Joseph as the perfect example of following Mary’s advice.  He never questioned, never hesitated, he simple did what God asked of Him.  When told that Mary’s pregnancy was through the Holy Spirit, he did not hesitate to take her as his wife.  When told Herod sought to kill the infant Messiah, he quickly gathered his little family and took them to safety in Egypt.  His whole life was one of obedience to God’s will, without question or doubt.

   My desire is that I may have the wisdom to know God’s plans for me and for the simple obedience of St. Joseph to humbly do whatever He tells me.

 

Lord, ask of me whatever You will.  Give me the faith to follow.  May I never doubt, never question, but simply do what You ask of me. 

 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment