Monday, February 28, 2022

Guide Me in Your Ways 

   “God, examine me and know my heart, probe me and know my thoughts; make sure I do not follow pernicious ways, and guide me in the way that is everlasting.” (Psalm 139: 23 – 24, Jerusalem Bible) 

   I often refer to various translations of the bible.  When I’m confused or uncertain of the meaning of a particular passage other translations often help to better hear what God is saying to me.  These verses from Psalm 139 are a case in point.  The translation of the Jerusalem Bible speaks to the depths of my heart more so than any other I have read.  It seems more personal and direct.

I love Psalm 139 and re-read it frequently.  Each time it reminds me that I am God’s, He created me.  He knows all there is to know about me and has a plan to bring me to Himself.  St. Augustine wrote, “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.”  When I read this psalm it’s very clear to me why I can never be at rest except in the Lord.

“God, how hard it is to grasp your thoughts!  How impossible to count them!  I could no more count them than I could the sand, and suppose I could, you would still be with me.”  (Psalm 139: 17 – 18, Jerusalem Bible).  It isn’t possible for me to understand the thoughts of God.  I can’t knew all He plans for me.  But I take great comfort is seeking His thoughts and plans, for in them is eternal life.

 

Father, You made me, You know me.  You have plans to bring me to Yourself.  Let me know the path to walk; the way You put before me.  Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment