Saturday, February 5, 2022

 The Ship of Life 

   “Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion.  They awakened him and said, ‘Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?’  Then he stood up and rebuked the wind, and he said to the sea, ‘Quiet, be still!’  The wind ceased and there was a great calm.” (Mark 4: 38 – 39).  

   I spent twenty years in the Navy so I suppose I could call myself a sailor.  What I definitely am not is a pilot of ships.  Were I to be given the helm I would surely run the ship aground on the nearest reef.  I can help sail the vessel, I can, in some small way, even contribute to the success of the voyage, but I cannot take the wheel and sail to safe harbor.

   Like most humans I tend to want to drive the boat.  Even though I know I’m unqualified, my pride says I can do it.  Acting on such nonsense can do nothing but sink my ship in the temptations of Satan in a sinful world.

   By the grace of God, I don’t have to pilot my ship of life.  I have someone who can see me through the roughest of seas.  One who can weather the worst of storms and bring me safely home.  He is my Lord, Jesus Christ.

 

Lord, life is full of perils, there are dangers everywhere.  Rough seas and gale-force winds abound.  Pilot my ship, Lord, keep me safe from the stormy seas and bring to the safe harbor of Your love.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment